Ghost Hounds Complete Another Wild Comeback - Spire City GhostHounds

Ghost Hounds Complete Another Wild Comeback

Ghost Hounds Complete Another Wild Comeback

FREDERICK, MD – In front of their largest crowd in franchise history, the Ghost Hounds sent fans home happy with yet another comeback win on Saturday night, 9-8 over Staten Island. Spire City scored six runs in the eighth inning to take the lead and even the series.

After a 2-0 win the night prior, Staten Island struck first on a single by Luis Castro, scoring Angel Aguilar who had doubled earlier in the inning. The rally was cut short as Kole Cottam cut down Castro trying to swipe second base.

Jose Marmolejos then tied the game in the bottom half with a solo home run to right field, his 22nd of the season.

In the fourth inning, it was the rookie Chris Brito who blasted a solo home run to left and break the tie again, putting the Ferryhawks up 2-1. They had a chance to add another on a double from Jack Elliott, but a phenomenal relay from Leobaldo Cabrera, Eddy Diaz, and Pete Yorgen cut down Kevin Krause at the plate.

Luis Castro added another run with a deep sac fly in the sixth.

Looking to rally, the Ghost Hounds started the inning with a double by Eddy Diaz, who moved to third on a broken bat single from Craig Dedelow. Marmolejos then doubled home a run, as Diaz scored and Dedelow moved to third. Dedelow then narrowly beat a throw to the plate on a grounder from Jimmy Paredes to tie the game at three.

Dustin Beggs was lifted after six innings, as the Hounds turned to Jack Weinberger. Mike Wilson broke the tie again against Weinberger, driving a two-run home run to left field. Later in the inning, Angel Aguilar added a three-run blast of his own against Jeff Johnson. For Aguilar, it was his third extra base hit of the night, and his second home run of the weekend. After sending 10 to the plate in the seventh, Staten Island led 8-3.

In the eighth, the Ghost Hounds completed what has become a signature comeback. After Craig Dedelow stole second base with one out, he scored on a ground rule double from Jose Marmolejos. Marmolejos moved to third base on a fly ball from Jimmy Paredes for the second out, and scored on a wild pitch. Now 8-5, Pete Yorgen lined a base hit to center field that skipped past Ricardo Cespedes in center field. Yorgen made it to third, and Luke Becker, who had been running for Chris Shaw following a walk, scored all the way from first.

The Ferryhawks then turned to Ryan Mitschele, who allowed an infield single to Raudy Read, which scored Yorgen and made it 8-7. After Osvaldo Abreu walked, Eddy Diaz singled home Becker who was pinch running again, tying the game at 8. Then Leobaldo Cabrera, who had singled to start the inning, blooped a single into center field. Abreu scored to take the lead, but Eddy Diaz was cut down at the plate.

Dovydas Neverauskas retired the side in order in the ninth with a strikeout and pair of groundouts, capping off yet another Ghost Hound comeback, with a 9-8 final.